Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Mimi


Mimi Weddell's husband died when she was 65, leaving only unpaid bills and loving memories. Undaunted, she decided to become an actress/model. Over almost three decades, she has appeared in everything from "Sex and the City" and vampire movies to cheese commercials. Now 93, her life is being celebrated in the documentary "Hat's Off", which is available on DVD.

Women like Mimi are all too frequently belittled with comments such as "she must have been beautiful in her youth". I'm sure she was quite lovely but - with her combination of glamour, aquiline good looks and sheer gutsiness - what she has become is altogether more extraordinary.

10 comments:

The Sexy Pedestrian said...

How do you know all these things Annie?! That's fascinating. Do you know when the film is out?

Profoundly Superficial said...

She's incredible! The film is already out and available on DVD.
Check out: http://hatsoffthemovie.com/

La Dolce Vita said...

Finally a good role model for my future years....!

The Sexy Pedestrian said...

Exactly! The fact she was 65 when she decided to pursue a showbiz career is quite inspirational, really.

RQTKT said...

Thanks for broadening my horizon! I like it: "90 is the new 40"

peti said...

Good thing her husband died when and as he did otherwise we wouldn't have come to know her. An inspirational thought for the New Year: do away with your husband and become a Star!

Jane said...

What a great idea for the new year Peti- Hollywood here I come... actually no, Hollywood isn't the place is it? Can't remember the last time I saw an interesting Hollywood film. Should it be Paris, Rome, Amsterdam? Where should I head off to with my possessions all tied in a hankie?
One thing I admire about Mimi.... the smoking!

Ari said...

I love Mimi . I threw her a DVD release party!

WendyB said...

Great story!

Lula Love said...

Hi I am looking for some images to accompany an article about Mimi, where did you get hold of the images on your blog? x